Look familiar ?
ORAL HABITS & DENTITION
- Open Bite (aka malocclusion)
- Thumb/Finger Sucking Habit
- Prolonged Pacifier Use
- High, Narrow Palate
- Dental Crowding
COMMON SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- Mouth Breathing
- Chronic Nasal Congestion
- Snoring/Sleep Disordered Breathing
- Speech Difficulties
- Forward Head Posture
- Tongue Tie or Lip Tie
- Orthodontic Relapse
- Trouble Latching During Breast/Bottle Feeding
- Poor Coordination of Suck and Swallow Patterns
- Selective Eating Due to Textures
- Gagging/Vomiting from Certain Foods
- Needs Frequent Sips of Liquid to Wash Food Down
- Tongue Thrust During Swallowing
- Messy Eating
Oral Myofunctional therapy can help
OMT benefits people who have habits of open-mouth breathing, forward tongue posture, difficulty swallowing certain foods, messy eating, TMJ problems, speech abnormalities, thumb/finger-sucking, or pacifier habits.
Myofunctional therapy can begin around age four, but is beneficial at any age.
MYO for children involves cooperation and the ability to follow simple instructions. It is especially beneficial at younger ages because oral habits are less engrained and easier to change. Healthy muscle function influences bone growth, specifically jaw growth, which are foundational structures of the airway.
OUR GOALS FOR SUCCESS:
- Foster 24/7 nasal breathing
- Strengthen and tone the muscles of the tongue, lips and face
- Promote ideal resting posture (lips closed and tongue on the roof of the mouth, nasal breathing)
- Alleviating pain and dysfunction by identifying compensations of the jaw and neck during chewing, talking and swallowing
- Prepare patients who are identified for successful tongue-tie and lip-tie release
How will we accomplish OMT?
Beginning with a thorough personalized assessment we establish a customized treatment plan. In a series of appointments for 30-40 minutes each, exercises are taught, demonstrated and assigned for practice in order to:
- Establish optimal tongue and mouth postures
- Establishing normal swallowing patterns
- Improve speech clarity
- Improve daytime and nighttime breathing
Meet Sara Wilson, RDH, Certified Orofacial Myologist
We are thrilled to weave OMT into our Total Health Dental practice. Dr. Susan and Sara work together in a collaborative partnership evaluating OM dysfunctions and tissue restrictions.
Our team is proud to work closely with a collaborative network of specialists. Our medical team includes Pediatric and Primary Physicians, ENTs, Speech Pathologists, Craniofacial Osteopathic Physicians and Lactation Consultants. Our goal is to integrate all information necessary to create a personalized optimal treatment plan.